- 1 1/2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 2 med or 1 large zucchini
- 1/2 c. finely chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 1/4 lb. ground chuck, turkey, or mushrooms
- 1/4 lb. favorite sausage
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 c. bread crumbs
- 6 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp fresh chopped oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut zucchini in half, lengthwise. Spoon out most of pulp leaving hollow boatlike shells. Set shell aside.
- Chop pulp coarsely, Heat 3 tbsp. olive oil in skillet, add the onions, cook for 5-10 minutes or until soft. Add zucchini pulp and garlic and cook another 5 minutes, stirrling frequently. Drain contents of skillet. Saute ground chuck and sausage and drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine vegetables and meat. Beat in lightly beaten eggs, bread crumbs, 2 teaspoons grated cheese, oregano, salt and pepper. Spoon stuffing into hollowed shells, mounding top slightly.
- To bake zucchini, pour the 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce into a shallow 12 x 16 inch baking pan. Arrange the zucchini on the sauce. Sprinkle tops with 1/4 cup of cheede, dribble a few drops of olive oil over them, cover dish tightly with foil. Bake for 30-35 minutes, removing foil after 20 minutes so the tops cqan brown. Serve directly from baking dish.