Shrimp and Leek Crostata
ALSATIAN SHRIMP AND LEEKS CROSTATA
This recipe was passed on to me by my dear friend Mercedes who is an excellent cook. I modified it to match my hectic schedule – but you can choose which version you would like to make. I made this for my family and they loved it. Serve with veggies and rice or just with a salad for a lighter meal.
Pastry Dough/crust- I used a Pillsbury refrigerated pie dough
1 large leek, including the green leaves, halved and sliced ¼ in. thick
1 pound NH native shrimp
1 pint thick white sauce
salt and black pepper
Handful of shredded cheese – I used cheddar , but you can choose what you like
1. Make the pastry crust or roll out the ready-made pie crust into the bottom of a deep pie dish.
2. Make the white sauce: 1/3 stick of butter, 3 or so tbsp of flour, Salt , Pepper, Nutmeg, and about ½ a quart of milk. Let boil, stirring often for about 3-4 minutes on medium low. Take off heat. Pour a ladle of the sauce into a bowl and add an egg yolk. Beat well and then add it back to the rest of the white sauce. Set Aside.
3. Saute the leek until tender and then barely golden. Turn off heat. Season with paprika, salt and pepper.
4. Preheat oven to 350.
5. Spread the leek and shrimp mixture on the crust.
6. Spoon the white sauce all over and then fold the extra crust over the filling.
7. If you have it paint the crust with cream or half and half or egg white
8. Bake for 30 minutes then sprinkle the shredded cheese on the filling- not on the crust and bake for 15 minutes more until just golden.
As it bakes the crust will bubble up a lot- that’s okay it will settle down once out of the oven. – Let it cool down a bit before serving.