Red Beans & Rice Salad
1 cup Kidney Beans
1 yellow onion
3 cups chicken stock
2 TBSP cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of each Creole mustard & Tabasco
1/3 cup olive oil
4 leaves of mustard greens chopped (remove center stem)
2 LG ripe tomatoes chopped
1 LG turnip root chopped
1 bunch of green onion chopped
1 each – celery stalk, green pepper, & red onion chopped
3 cups popcorn rice
2 whole cloves
4 cloves garlic whole
2 bay leaves
1/2 TSP salt & sugar
2 TBSP black pepper
1 TBSP cayenne pepper
2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- Go ahead & grab that large cutting board to chop all those veggies: mustard greens, tomatoes, turnip root, green onion, celery, green pepper, red onion.
- Set aside chopped veggies.
- Grab a pot---remember 2 cups of water to one cup of rice--- 6 cups salted water bring to boil-reduce to a simmer, add rice, cover, steam for 27 minutes. That way it is done when everything else is.
- Rinse red beans, place in a bowl of cold water, just barely covering—soak over night.
- Drain beans; add to saucepan.
- Stick cloves into yellow onion. Add to saucepan with beans along with garlic, bay leaves, stock, cayenne, Worcestershire, salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring beans & seasonings to a boil, reduce to simmer, cook until tender-about 1 hour.
- Drain and reserve beans & garlic; discard onion & bay leaves.
- Mash reserved garlic cloves w/salt & sugar, then whisk in vinegar until dissolved. Next whisk in Creole mustard, Tabasco, thyme, & olive oil until blended. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Taste mixture--adjust seasonings to taste.
- Combine chopped veggies, beans, rice, and garlic vinegar mixture.
- Let rest for 1 hour & serve at room temperature.