Grilled Hake Mediterranean Style
* 1 large Hake Fillet
* 2 medium sized tomato’s
* 2 lemons
* 1 jar capers
* 1 large shallot
* fresh thyme
* crushed red pepper
* extra virgin olive oil
* 12 baby artichokes
1. Turn on grill to medium high heat (400 degrees) and place a fish pan or aluminum foil on one side of the grill.
2. Rinse the fish with cold water, pat dry. Cover fish in olive oil and sprinkle with salt, red pepper flakes, and finely chopped thyme. Place thinly sliced lemon across the top of the fish and let rest for 20 minutes.hake1
3. In a small stock pot, bring 2 cups of water to boil. Clean baby artichokes (click here for a how-to video) and cut in half, length-wise. Sprinkle with salt and put into water to steam for 6-8 minutes, or until just for tender.
4. Place Hake onto grill sheet or foil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat on that side of the grill to medium and close grill cover. Let cook for 6-8 minutes.
5. Drain artichokes and let drip dry. In large wok, add sesame oil over high heat. Add artichokes, careful to avoid oil splattering. Toss for 5-6 minutes until edges begin to brown. Then add shallots, garlic, tomato’s, and capers. Continue tossing 4-5 minutes or until artichokes have browned on the edges. Remove from heat.DSC_0016
6. Flip Hake carefully and grill for an additional 4-6 minutes or until fish flakes away with a fork.
7. On a large serving platter, spread out the artichokes and place Hake fillet on top. Serve with fresh lemon slices and a nice bottle of Albarino from Spain!