Green Eggs & Ham
Oven Eggs with Ham and Swiss Chard (from Family Fun magazine, April 2010 issue)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 cup light sour cream
4 medium leaves Swiss chard, stems removed and leaves finely chopped (about 1 cup)
6 egg whites
1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
1 ½ cups cooked diced ham (7 oz)
2 ½ cups grated reduced0fat Swiss or sharp Cheddar cheese
- In a medium-size skillet, sauté the onion in the butter and olive oil until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chard and cook until just wilted, about 1 minute. Let cool.
- In a bowl, beat together eggs and egg whites. Stir in sour cream, parsley, ham, chard mixture, and 2 cups of the cheese.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9x13 glass baking dish. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or bake it (uncovered) immediately.
- Heat the oven to 375°. If the casserole was refrigerated overnight, let it sit for 15 minutes at room temperature. Bake until it has set, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle the casserole with the remaining cheese and bake until the cheese melts, about 3 minutes. Serves 12.
The notes attached with the article state…”Even made with low-fat sour cream and cheese, this savory casserole is so creamy and delicious that my kids don’t bat an eye at the addition of nutritious Swiss chard. The cooked onion gives a bit of sweetness and the ham contributes just the right amount of salt.”