Fresh roasted okra
From Rockingham County's own, Brenda Sutton aka The Produce Lady!
Here are the simple steps to roasting okra:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Wash and dry about 12 3-inch pods per serving, but do not cut off the ends.
- Put on a cookie sheet prepared with olive oil, and spray the okra with olive oil.
- Bake about 15 to 20 minutes, or until beginning to brown.
- Try roasting on the grill as well.
Freezing your leftover okra is a great way to preserve it beyond its short shelf life (only a couple of days). First, cut the ends of the pods with a sharp knife, being careful not to pierce the seed cell. To freeze okra, blanch by placing the pods in boiling water for three minutes before transferring them directly to a bowl of ice water. Strain the okra and place in freezer bags to be enjoyed later.