Brunch Omelet Torte
- 1 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 6 red potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces cooked ham, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). On lightly floured surface, roll each sheet of puff pastry into a 12 inch square. Lay 1 sheet puff pastry into a 10 inch pie plate; set aside.
- In a 10 inch skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter until sizzling. Add potatoes, onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until potatoes are lightly browned and crisply tender, about 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a new skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter until sizzling. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together all omelet ingredients except remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Pour half of omelet mixture (3/4 cup) into heated skillet. Cook over medium heat. As omelet mixture sets, lift slightly with spatula to allow uncooked portion to flow underneath. Continue cooking until set, about 2 to 3 minutes. Slide omelet onto cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining butter and omelet mixture.
- Layer ingredients into pie plate on top of puff pastry in the following order: one of the omelets, 4 ounces ham, half of fried the potatoes, 1 cup shredded cheese, remaining potatoes, ham, cheese and 2nd omelet. Top with remaining sheet of puff pastry. Press together edges of both sheets of puff pastry to form a rim; trim off excess. Crimp or flute edges. In small bowl, stir together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water; brush over puff pastry.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes; cut into wedges.