Dutch potato and beet salad
This recipe appeared in the Boston Globe food section:
6 large Yukon Gold potatoes (or any delicious farm fresh potatoes - especially new potatoes)
2 fresh beets, trimmed and halved
1 tart apple, cut into 1/2 inch dice
8 small sweet gherkin pickles, coarsely chopped
2 tablespooons pickle juice
1 cup mayo
1 teaspoon sugar
whole head lettuce leaves, for serving.
1. In a large saucepan combine potatoes, a generous pinch of salt, and cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes into a colander; cool.
2. In another saucepan, combine the beets, a generous pinch of salt and cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and cover the pan. Simmer the beets for 30 minutes or until they are cooked through. Drain, rinse with cold water until cool enough to handle, and transfer to a shallow bowl. Remove the beet skin with your fingers. Cut the beets into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. In a bowl, combine the beets, potatoes, apple, pickles, and pickle juice. Toss gently.
4. Add the mayo, sugar, salt, and pepper. Fold the salad until the potatoes are covered. Cover and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
5. Line a platter with lettuce leaves and mound the salad on top.