CURRIED CRAB AND CORN CAKES
4 servings, 2 crab cakes each
Active Time:30 minutes
Total Time:45 minutes
- 5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels, (from 2 ears) or frozen
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, shells removed (see Note)
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs, divided
- Lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn, onion, curry powder and garlic; cook, stirring often, until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and let cool completely. Stir in crabmeat.
- Whisk mayonnaise, egg whites, lime juice, cilantro, mint and salt in a small bowl. Fold into the crab mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Using about 1/3 cup per patty, form the mixture into eight 3/4-inch-thick patties. Dredge the patties in the remaining breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 crab cakes and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn cakes over onto the prepared baking sheet. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet and repeat with the remaining 4 crab cakes.
- Bake the crab cakes until golden on the second side and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.