Fresh Basil Pesto
2 Cups fresh basil leaves; packed
1/2 Cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano Cheese
1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 Cup pine/walnut/pecan nuts (I personally like the pecan!)
3 Medium sized garlic cloves, minced
1/4 to 1/3 Teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper/peppercorn to taste
1. Toast the nuts lightly in a pan over the stove
2. Combine basil and nuts in a food processor and pulse a few times
3. Combine garlic and lemon juice and pulse a few more times
4. Slowly add olive oil in a steady stream while the processor is on if possible. Scrape the sides down w/rubber spatula
5. Add the grated cheese and pulse again until blended
6. Add more oil as you see fit to get the texture you desire
7. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
Pesto freezes well for three months! Make the recipe BUT do not add the cheese (it does not freeze well). You can freeze the pesto in ice cube trays! Once they are frozen pop them out and place them in a freezer bag. When you are ready to eat take the desired amount out, defost on the counter, add the grated cheese and enjoy the same great fresh flavor!