Carrot Cooking Tips
- Scrub with vegetable brush. Do not peel if possible, since carotene and trace minerals are just under skin.
- Eat raw. Cut into sticks, Grate or julienne into salads.
- Make carrot salad – grate carrots. Mix withbeets, grated apples, orange pieces, raisins, or coconut. Add pecans, walnuts, or sunflower seeds. Dressing – mix yogurt, apple/orange/lemon juice, salt, maple syrup.
- Saute julienned or sliced carrots in butter over low heat until tender. Add salt or maple syrup at end.
- Roast in oven, alone or with beets or other roots. Toss carrot chunks with olive oil. Roast at 350-400 for 30-45 minutes in covered casserole dish.
- Remove greens. Refrigerate in plastic bag, with damp cloth if necessary to prevent drying and softening of roots.
- Summer carrots will keep in fridge for several weeks, winter carrots for few months. For alternate long-term storage, pack carrots in damp sand in barrel in cool, not freezing, location.